Ministry of Justice

Other Dispute Resolution Options

In addition to mediation services, we may refer you to other ways of resolving disputes.

Collaborative Law

We can also refer you to a private lawyer who practices collaborative law. In a collaborative law process, you, your lawyer, the other person involved and their lawyer formally agree to resolve your disagreements outside of the court process, in an atmosphere of trust and co-operation. The goal is to settle your case fairly, through constructive problem solving, without going to court. If the process does not work, the lawyers must withdraw from the case.

For more information on collaborative law, visit the JusticeBC website.


  • Clicklaw provides user friendly, searchable access to key legal information, education and help for British Columbians.  If you have a legal problem, are looking for legal help, want to learn about the law, or are interested in law reform, Clicklaw can help you find answers to your questions.  Resources available through Clicklaw were designed to be used by the public and those helping the public access legal information.
  • The Family Law in B.C. website has a wide range of family law information.
  • The JusticeBC website contains general information on family justice for people who are experiencing marital breakup or are divorced or separated.
  • The Families Change website is designed to help children and teens understand separation and divorce. It also has resources to help parents support their children.
  • Changeville is an animated, interactive website designed to help B.C. kids six to 12 whose parents are going through divorce or separation. The website can be used by kids alone or with a parent’s help.
  • The Mediate BC Society (formerly known as British Columbia Mediator Roster Society) website provides information about the mediation process and related resources in B.C. It keeps lists of mediators who meet the roster’s requirements for education, training and experience.
  • For general information about mediation, see the Guide to Mediation in B.C. on the Dispute Resolution Office website.
  • For more information about collaborative law, see the Dispute Resolution Office's Collaborative Law Bulletin or visit the JusticeBC website.
  • You can find a private mediator through the Canadian Bar Association (CBA) alternative dispute resolution sub-section.  Contact the CBA for a referral.