Ministry of Justice

Court Mediation Program

The Court Mediation Program (the “CMP”) operates in several small claims court registries in British Columbia including: Vancouver (Robson Square), North Vancouver, Surrey, Nanaimo and Victoria. The CMP works to enhance access to justice and to contribute to culture change in the B.C. justice system by providing early opportunity for resolution through quality mediation services.

The Small Claims Practicum

B.C. leads the country in providing high-quality training programs for mediators. However, mediators need experience to become fully competent. The CMP Small Claims Practicum provides opportunity for individuals with mediation training to gain practical, supervised experience mediating Small Claims Court cases while being mentored by senior mediators.

To be admitted to the practicum program, applicants must have completed training in interest-based mediation. A complete description of the current requirements, upcoming scheduled classes and an application form are available on the Mediate BC website.

Applications are accepted throughout the year. Classes generally begin during the spring and fall.

Mediation services

CMP mediation services are provided to parties in cases referred by participating Small Claims Court registries. As per the Small Claims Rules, cases are referred to the CMP under Rules 7.2 and 7.4.

If a case is not settled through mediation, the dispute will proceed through the Small Claims Court process.

Mediation services are provided at no cost to the parties. Services are provided by mediators enrolled in a practicum working under the supervision of a senior mediator, as well as by a pool of experienced Small Claims Mediators. Neither mediators nor mentors provide legal advice to the parties who participate in mediation.

Program administration

The program is operated by Mediate BC Society, with day-to-day management provided by the CMP Program Manager.

For more information

For more information on the Court Mediation Program, click here or call 604 684-1300.