Ministry of Justice

How to Dispute a Provincial Violation Ticket

Link to Provincial Violation Ticket - How to Pay

Link to Provincial Violation Ticket Frequently Asked Questions Link to Provincial Violation Ticket Forms Link to Provincial Violation Ticket  - Contacts Link to Provincial Violation Ticket Homepage

You can find the notice of dispute form on the website (PTR021) or at any court registry.

Complete and sign the form and mail it to:

Ticket Dispute Processing

Bag 3510

Victoria, B.C. V8W 3P7

If you do not have access to a notice of dispute form, send a copy of the front of your violation ticket, with a letter specifying what you are disputing (charge(s) or fine).

If you cannot enclose a copy of the violation ticket, you must include in your letter the following:

  • the violation ticket number (located on the top right corner on the front of the ticket);
  • your full name, address, driver’s licence number and date of birth; and
  • the violation date, plus the name of the act and section number of the charge(s), as listed on the front of the violation ticket.

If you do not include the information noted directly above, your notice may not be filed and you may be deemed to have pled guilty to the charge. The offence will be added to your driving record as a conviction and the full ticketed amount becomes immediately due and payable.

Do not include evidence, such as videos or pictures, with your notice of dispute. Evidence may be brought with you to your hearing.

You or someone on your behalf may file a dispute against the charge(s) or the amount of the fine indicated on the violation ticket, at any ICBC office or provincial court registry.

If filing a dispute at a court registry, you must bring your copy of the violation ticket with you and complete a notice of dispute form.

If you are unable to file your notice of dispute within 30 days, you may file an affidavit form (PTR020), available at any court registry, requesting an extension. You must bring a copy of the violation ticket to file an affidavit. The affidavit can be sworn/affirmed at any court registry for a fee of $15 or by any commissioner for taking oaths, such as a notary public. You should also complete a notice of dispute form (PTR021) at this time. Note: The dispute will not be registered unless the affidavit is granted.

The affidavit is a request and extensions are not automatically granted. The justice will consider your application and you will be notified of the decision by mail.

Frequently Asked Questions