Ministry of Justice

What if I need an interpreter?

If you have to go to court as a party to a court proceeding and you need help with the English language, the court will provide you with an interpreter in the following situations:

  • Provincial and Supreme Court criminal adult and youth cases,
  • Family cases in Provincial Court,
  • Traffic court cases,
  • Municipal bylaw cases,
  • Upon court order, in any court.

The interpreter will be with you throughout the court hearings to interpret for you, so that you will understand what is going on in court and the judge and other participants will understand your testimony.

To ensure an appropriate interpreter can be secured, you should contact the interpreter clerk at your local court registry as soon as possible with your request, to ensure an appropriate interpreter can be secured. If an interpreter is not arranged in time, the judge may have to reschedule your case.

You must provide your own interpreter for any other court related activities not listed above.

Agencies that can assist you in finding an interpreter can be found in the yellow pages of your local phone book under Translators and Interpreters. You may also want to consider contacting MOSAIC or the Society of Translators and Interpreters of BC for assistance.

Additional Resources

Society of Translators & Interpreters of BC

Vancouver, BC

Tel: 604 684-2940
Fax: 604 684-2947

Vancouver, BC

Tel: 604 254-9626
Fax: 604 254-3932

A site where people may find legal information and in different languages.